Are you also facing FPS drops, lag, stuttering, and freezing problems (2021) while playing the League of Legends? However, nowadays, it’s a hot topic, and almost every gamer want to know the best solutions to fix this issue.
Who knows? This might be because of your hard drive, impaired memory, an overheating CPU, or an unstable power supply. Sometimes, it has also seen that the motherboard is the root cause of this issue in some cases, although that’s a rare occasion. Here, we will explain the best ways to fix the problems. So, if you wish to fix the issues so that you can play your favourite game without any FPS drop, Lag, Stuttering, and freezing, then follow the guide till the end.
How to Fix League of Legends FPS Drops, Lag, Stuttering, and Freezing (2021)
However, sometimes we do nothing with these problems if the root of this problem is our weak and low specs PC. So, you may first check your PC specs and compare if your system is capable enough to run the game smoothly or not. Here is the list of minimum system requirements needed to run the game.
Minimum System Requirements:
- HDD: Minimum 12GB Free Space
- OS: Windows 7
- Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1200
- DirectX: Version 9C
- CPU: 3GHz
- RAM: 2GB
Recommended System Requirements:
- HDD: Recommended 16GB Free Space
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800
- VRAM: 512MB
- OS: Windows 10
- CPU: 3GHz
- RAM: 4GB
Root Causes of The Problems
There are various reasons for these issues, but the primary or root cause that affects the game and prevents the game from running smoothly on your PC. It might be an Unstable CPU/GPU overclock, Improper heat management, Video or audio driver problems, Uninstalled updates, Malware infections, Hard drive issues, Unreliable network connections, or Crimped or bent wires, etc.
Method 1: Disable Game Mode
The Windows 10 in-built Game Mode might be the cause of FPS drop, lag, stuttering and freezing on League of Legends. Guess what? Luckily, we have some fast and straightforward ways to disabling Game Mode.
- First of all, open the windows settings menu by pressing the Windows + I key using your keyboard.
- Now, simply go to the “Gaming” tab and look for the Game Mode option and toggle it off.
- Then, you need just to restart your computer to let the changes take effect and rerun the game to check if the issue is gone.
Method 2: Try Turning Off Windows Game Bar or Game DVR
Sometimes the Windows game bar or game DVR causes the FPS drop, Lag, Stuttering, and freezing on League of Legends. So, follow the guide further.
- First of all, you need to hold and press the Windows and Q key to open the Cortana search bar.
- Then, type “Game” inside the Cortana’s search box.
- Now, choose the “Control how Game Bar Opens and Recognizes Your Game” this will head you towards a window where you have an option to turn it off.
- After that, you can also turn off the “Record game clip,” “Broadcast,” and “Screenshots” options.
- That’s it. Now, you just need to choose or go to the Game DVR tab and find out the “record in the background” setting to turn it off.
- Finally, restart your computer and test if the issue is gone.
Method 3: Update Your Graphics Card Driver
In order to update the graphics card driver, you can follow the guidelines as mentioned below: –
- Initially, open Run by using the Windows + R key from your keyboard to get the application.
- Now, type in “dxdiag” in the Run box and hit the OK button.
- Then, note down the OS details located on the “Systems” tab, expand the “Display” tab, and find your GPU name. Then, right-click it then from the opened drop-down menu, select the Update option.
- You can also visit your graphics card manufacturer’s official website.
- Then, from there, you can easily download the latest version of your graphics card driver.
- After the file is downloaded, and right-click on it and choose the “Run as administrator” in order to install it on your PC.
Method 4: Enable V-Sync
- First of all, you have to go to your desktop and right-click on the free space of the desktop. Then, choose the “NVIDIA Control Panel” from the drop-down context menu.
- Now, choose the “Force On” tab that is located on the Vertical Sync.
- Then, if you wish to On the AMD Enhanced Sync, go to desktop and right-click on it. After that, from the drop-down context menu, choose the AMD Radeon Settings.
- Now, select the “Global Settings” located on the AMD Radeon Settings windows.
- Finally, click on the “Wait For Vertical Refresh,” followed by the “Enhance Sync” option. Then, restart your computer to check if the issue is gone.
Method 5: Modify your Graphics Card Settings
For NVIDIA graphics card:
- To alter the Nvidia graphics card settings, you need to simultaneously hold and press the Windows key and R key from your keyboard. This will open the Run dialog box. Then, enter control and hit the Enter key. This will open Control Panel.
- From the control panel, select the NVIDIA Control Panel and open it.
- Now, you have to tap on 3D Settings and go to the Adjust image settings with preview.
- That’s it. Now, choose the Use my preference emphasizing option and drag the slider.
For AMD graphics card:
- To alter the AMD graphics card settings, you need to simultaneously hold and press the Windows key and R key from your keyboard. This will open the Run dialog. Then, enter control and hit the Enter key. This will open Control Panel.
- Now, inside the control panel, find out the AMD Radeon Settings and open it.
- Then, you can click on Gaming followed by Global Settings and alter the settings as per your need.
For Intel graphics card:
- To alter the intel graphics card settings, you need to simultaneously hold and press the Windows key and R key from your keyboard. This will open the Run dialog. Then, enter control and hit the Enter key. This will open Control Panel.
- Then, from the control panel, select the Intel Graphics Settings and open it.
- Now, select the 3D. This will open the 3D settings on your PC and select the Scan to add the game to the application list.
- After that, change the graphics settings as per your need and hit the Apply button to save the changes you made.
Method 6: Enable low spec mode
However, if your PC doesn’t meet the minimum system requirement, you may try to enable the low spec mode. This will help your PC run the game without any FPS drop, Lag, Stuttering, and freezing. Follow the steps to enable the low spec mode: –
- First off, you have to open the League of Legends on your windows PC and log in with your account.
- Then, you’ll see an icon that looks like gear or settings. Click on it to open the game settings.
- Now, simply checkmark the box located next to Enable Low Spec Mode and click on the Done button.
Method 7: Initiate full repair
If none of the above methods works for you, then you may try to initiate the full repair of the files. To do this, follow the guidelines as mentioned below: –
- At first, you need to open the League of Legends application and log in with your account.
- Then, you’ll notice an icon that looks like gear or settings. Click on it to open the game settings.
- After that, tap on the Initiate Full Repair and click in Yes to continue further.
- Now, you have to wait until the process is complete. However, this may take a while. But. once it is done, don’t forget to restart your PC.
Method 8: Change the Power Plan of Your PC and Adjust your Windows System for the Best Performance
Changing the power plan of your PC might help adjust the FPS according to your PC to bring out the best performance. Follow the steps to enhance the system performance.
- Hold and press the Windows key and R simultaneously using the keyboard, then type powercfg.cpl in the opened Run box and hit the Enter.
- Expand Hide additional plans tab and click on the High performance.
- In the search box, you need to type advanced, located in the upper-right corner of the window and select the View advanced system settings option.
- Now, a window will pop-ups, from there, you need to click on the Settings located under the Performance section.
- Finally, choose the Adjust for best performance and hit the OK button.
Method 9: Set FPS Cap To Fix FPS issue
For capping the FPS, you need to first enter into a custom game. Well, if you don’t know how to follow the guide further.
- Firstly, open the game and go into a Custom Game. Then, open the options using the Esc button from your keyboard.
- After that, go to the Video tab located on the left of the screen and find out the Frame Rate Cap box.
- Then, alter the setting to 60 FPS or whatever you want to set and save the changes you have made.
- Now, go to the Game tab and locate the Movement Protection found under the ‘Gameplay.’ However, you need to make sure to unmark the check box located before this movement protection.
- Finally, click on the OK button and exit. Then, restart your game and check if the trick worked for you.
Method 10: Change Game Config File
If you find that none of the method mentioned above worked in your case, you may try to change the game configuration file. But, keep in mind that you have to be very careful before following the steps because if something went wrong, then you have no choice other than reinstalling the game.
- First of all, go to the task manager and from there close all processes related to League of Legends.
- Now, open a web browser and download the ZIP file of the game from the official website. Please save it to your preferred location.
- Then, go to the League of Legends installation folder and click on the folder Config.
- Now, you will notice that there is already a file named ‘game.cfg‘ in the folder. Right-click on it and copy it to another location as a backup.
- Then, go to the downloaded folder and click on the Config. Now, from the different settings option, you need to select the one according to your hardware specs.
- Now, copy the config file and paste it to the config file in the League of Legends installation folder. If it pop-ups a window and ask you to replace it, then click on the Yes.
That’s it. Now, you can restart your PC and examine if the FPS drop, Lag, Stuttering, and freezing in the game occurs or not.
If you fail to fix the issue even after following the guide carefully, it’s time to contact the support team and explain to them what you are going through and how many problems you have faced due to these issues. If you have any doubt or queries related to the gaming world, use our comment box and let us know, we will try our best to resolve your problem as soon as we get something. Furthermore, visit our website if you want to know more about such kind of exciting guide. That’s all we have for you how to fix League of Legends FPS drops, lag, stuttering, and freezing (2021). We hope this guide helped you.